rawhide report: 20070110 changes

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 16:21:46 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Behdad Esfahbod <besfahbo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 12:53 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> >
> > Is the patented hinting algorithm still disabled in freetype?
> > If so, was an audit performed after OIN creation to determine if it's
> > now possible to enable it?
>
> Yes, it's disabled still.  We'll probably wait until that patent expires
> (~2010).  How does OIN affect real genuine patents with no prior art?
> OIN is to counter-attack rather bogus patent claims, not to allow us
> violate whatever patent we want.  MP3 comes to mind first.

Thanks for the clarification. Of course I am not proposing to violate
any valid patent here.
I probably did not understand the goals of the OIN and how its
portfolio would be leveraged. I thought OIN could be also used for
some patent swap deal, but this is probably not possibile.

/me just hates patents on software and hopes they will be banned one day...