plans for long term support releases?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 16 10:08:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 01:25 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> > Now that Core and Extras are going to be merged and the distro is
> > opening up to become even more (?) community driven, has anyone played
> > with the though of eventually releasing a long term support version of
> > Fedora?
> >
> > It could be a based on a staple snapshot of Fedora 7 + 4 months worth of
> > updates or whatever, at this point I'm more interested in hearing about
> > the idea than the details, which will surely follow, if i'm not the only
> > one who think this could be a good idea. Especially now that we're going
> > to do special server spins etc...
> >
> > Just a thought (hope this was not brought up ages ago and I just missed it)
> >
> > /Thomas
> >

> Note: Fedora Legacy began with this similar idea.
As I tried to express many times before, to me, FL has always been a
dead-born child which never actually came into real existance.

> Nothing stops a community group from trying continue what Legacy began.
>   Just do it and prove that it is sustainable.  But I am not optimistic
> that it is possible.
Well a solution within Fedora would be much simpler and easier:

Keep Fedora open for longer terms and keep it open for community
contributions - This approach (Extending ETA) had worked quite well for
FE, but had not been possible for FC, due to management decisions.

I.e. if a unified FC+FE project was kept open for an extended period and
if it was possible for community contributors to collaborate and
co-maintain RH-maintained packages, there should not be many (technical)
reasons why an extended life time of Fedora releases should not work.

Ralf