plans for long term support releases?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 17 00:04:43 UTC 2007

Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> I would say keep 'proactive' support as it is, (Test 2 of Fn+2), but
> at the same time do not remove the older distro from the Fedora
> infrastructure for a little longer, allowing 'reactive' updates by
> packagers who care.
>
> It has been mentioned by one individual it would be easier on a single
> system to update packages than it was by havign two separate systems.
> Maybe this would give the impetus needed?
>
> Only remove the distro after a minimum of around 18 months, but make
> it clear that after around 13 months it is no longer proactively
> maintained.
>
> Ofcourse this will still leave issues over who will maintain major
> packages such as the kernel, which presumably require alot of work,
> since the current maintainers would have moved on.

That is precisely the problem. Either everyone decides to commit to
providing update for a specific period of time or not. Allowing some
packagers to provide updates while others just dont care wont work
primarily because of setting the wrong expectations and due to potential
security issues with this arrangement.

Anyway, we are just beginning to merge core and extras. Discussing any
substantial changes right away seems a bit premature.

Rahul