New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 02:33:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 22:20 +0000, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 14:07 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 10:20 +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> > >  * diff between branches
> > Can you give an example commandline of this?  I'm not quite sure what it
> > means in the context of the package SCM.
>
> cvs diff -Nau -r branch_1 -r branch_2 foo.c
>
> git diff branch_1..branch_2
>

> > >   * test new patches in private topic branch(s)
> > >   * merge branches
> > Added these two although my impression is that it wouldn't be very easy
> > to do this with cvs.  Are you doing this with our current SCM or is it
> > something you want to make sure is made easy when we change to a new
> > SCM?
>
> cvs co -r branch_1 foo.c; cvs up -dP -j branch_2 foo.c; cvs commit
>
> git checkout branch_1; git pull . branch_2

Right but we're talking at cross-purposes.  What I mean is, are we using
these now with the fedora-extras and fedora-core dist-cvs?  If so, what
are the commands you're running to do that?

Although we talk about branches with dist-cvs, there's no cvs branches
in the repository that I'm aware of.  So I'm wondering if Karel has some
commands that he's using now or if this is a "If we use real branches in
the next SCM, it'll give us the ability to do operation Xyz in a better
way."

-Toshio