New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 23 06:44:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 22:27 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 06:59 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Yeah -- branches in subversion and bazaar are trivial,
> > How comes you consider branches in CVS to be more complex?
> >
> > I for one (Many year's of CVS power-usage), have never found subversion
> > branches easy to use (I've never used bazaar nor git).
> >
> cvs doesn't separate the concept of tags and branches.
Right, this bloats the repos sizes on the server (svn pushes this bloat
to the clients) and renders "branch removal" a pain on the server.

>   It also works on
> individual files rather than whole trees.
Right, but I don't see this as a disadvantage. It's a different working
principle.

>   It could just be a limitation
> of my brain but those two things made branches a lot harder for me to
> understand in cvs.
Well, on the client-side, branching is easy:
cvs tag -b branch-tag
cvs up -r branch-tag -dP

Unlike with svn, diffing between branches and getting to know about
branches (cvn log) is trivial.

What I find arguable/questionable in FE's CVS-repos, is the way
"FE-branches" have been implemented into it. They are implemented as
separate directories instead of CVS-branches. If real CVS-branches had
been used several details would have been much easier.

In the early days of FE, I had been told the reason for this design
decision had been AVCs, because CVS storing branches in files would
prevent AVCs to be applicable.

Ralf