Compiz Fusion?

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:19:21 UTC 2007

Hikaru Amano wrote:
> On 7/2/07, Alphonse Van Assche <alcapcom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Peter Gordon a écrit :
>> can be
>> >
>> > Maybe; but adding hacks to workaround a known-broken piece of
>> > proprietary software instead of getting the recent R300/Avivo drivers
>> > working properly for AIGLX seems entirely like a step backwards to
>> me...
>> >
>> Well, I have just saying this to let know that the fglrx driver *cannot*
>> be used with AIGLX without the above hacks and at this time we don't
>> have Xgl in Fedora so in my eyes a choice must be done. Using XGL as a
>> temporary hack or making temporary hacks to let users use compiz with
>> AIGLX. If we don't do one of them, then we forgot a big part of the
>> Fedora users.
>
> does that mean its working? or is it not? or is it working after
> patching?
>

>> Yes, ATI driver suck for many reasons proprietary/not intensive
>> developed/etc... but many people have such cards and saying that we
>> don't care about it is just saying we don't care about a big part of our
>> users, I think that's not good for Fedora.
>
> In my place, ATi users are more than NVidia users, its a pain when
> trying to promote Fedora to them .. and with fglrx is broken in F7  ..
> I have no idea what to answer if they asked ..
>
>> I'm personally sure that many
>> people have switch to GNU/Linux these last year just to have a wobbly
>> desktop with all these eye candy stuffs. I like eye candy as a awesome
>> propaganda piece for the GNU/Linux desktops too.
>
> +1. the Wow factor...
>

>> Just my 2 cent of the day.
>> Alphonse
>>

> back to topic ,
>
> I just rewrote desktop-effects in .py to make use compizconfig-python ..
>
> attached them together with this email ..

great ;)

some comments:

def env_nvidia():
    if not getoutput('xdpyinfo 2>/dev/null|grep NV-GLX') == '':
        print '* nvidia found, exporting: __GL_YIELD=nothing '
        return '__GL_YIELD=nothing '
    else: return ''

this is no longer needed when the cfs scheduler is used which is in the
rawhide kernels right now and should go upstream in kernel 2.6.23.

don't just print errors like "can't start compiz" uses
gtk.MessageDialog with gtk.MESSAGE_ERROR.