Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jul 3 01:10:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 23:23 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:

> * Beagle and Deskbar installed by default
> these applications make all the difference for an desktop user between
> an "OK" user experience and "wonderful" user experience. Work flow
> using these two applications is radically improved and this is what
> should be showcased as a "Modern linux desktop".
> - also I would add a beagle firefox plugin which also makes all the
> difference when you need some resource you saw online but didn't
> bookmark it or put it on del.ico.us
> - these apps don't waste resources, and the memory footprint is really
> not that much, especially if put in context that you really have to
> look hard these days for a system that has less or equal to 256MB of
> memory. I tested beagle on 3 laptop systems with fedora 6 / 7 and one
> desktop with also fedora 6 / 7 and I didn't have a single issue. So
> for me not to have in installed in Fedora 7 was a big disappointment.

There was a recent discussion on this topic and the decision was to
remove Beagle from the default install because for too many users Beagle
would suck up 100% CPU and leave the machine virtually unusable. See the
archives for details.  Once Beagle matures some more and causes fewer
problems like this having Beagle in the default install can be
reconsidered.

Jeff