Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Jul 4 12:49:44 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 02.07.2007, 23:23 +0200 schrieb Valent Turkovic:
> Hi,

[snipped]

> * NTFS support during installation
> there should be NTFS support built in to anaconda so that ntfs
> partitions are automatically recognized and added to /etc/fstab - and
> that users are given an option to make them read-only or to be mounted
> in read-write mode.

How exactly should this happen? Another screen with questions like: "Do
you want to mount your NTFS volumes? y/N" and "Do you want your NFTS
volumes to be mounted read only? Y/n"? I don't think bothering people
with more questions is necessary or useful.

You already have the opportunity to configure NTFS mounts during
install. Usually I tell anaconda/disc druid to mount my Windows
partition to /mnt/windows. Now that we have ntfs-3g in default install,
you have r/w access when you first boot your computer after install.

For me this is enough. Personally I don't want partitions to be mounted
automatically somewhere without being asked. I want control over my
installation and I like to have a choice.

> * Beagle and Deskbar installed by default
> these applications make all the difference for an desktop user between
> an "OK" user experience and "wonderful" user experience.

This topic has already been beaten to death on this list before you
raised it again. We did have beagle in the default install in FC6 and it
was decided to take it out for F7. Please be so kind as to search the
archives or at least read the Fedora Weekly News:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue88#head-7fdee0a1251926827abf631c707a2dadcb25ea10

BTW: If you speak German I suggest you search for beagle @
fedoraforum.de: 37 hits and 35 of them are complainants.

> * Tomboy installed by default
> - I have all the same arguments here as I do for Beagle and Deskbar

deskbar and tomboy might be worth discussing, but I don't think many
people are using them. So I'd say they should stay out.

> * Desktop shortcut for joining Fedora IRC (aka "Get Live Help")

Although this is a good idea I'm not sure how to achieve this
technically: Yes, there is an IRC url scheme [1], but I'm not sure if
all desktops are able to open IRC links. Other questions are: What
application should be used to open this link and how to we make sure
this application really is installed?

> * Desktop folder with examples of what "this linux thing" can do :)

Personally I hate "example" folders. "Example
Pictures/Music/Playlists/Whatever" is the first thing I remove on a
fresh installed Windows.

> * a working Burning app for Fedora Gnome desktop
> Put any new user in front of fresh Fedora 7 desktop and ask them to
> burn some files to CD or DVD - any watch them as they wiggle
> unpleasantly as they can't find any burning app under gnome desktop.
> Puting a link for nautils burner under "Places / CD - DVD Recoder"
> doesn't help.

Really? I have been installing computers with fedora for a while now and
giving them to my customers. _No_one_ has ever asked me how to burn
CDs/DVDs. I have to admit that starting rhythmbox to burn audio discs is
not really intuitive but it works. So IMO we shouldn't add duplicate
functionality to the default install.

Ok, that was just my 2 ¢

Christoph

[1] http://www.w3.org/Addressing/draft-mirashi-url-irc-01.txt