Parallel Booting

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Jul 6 21:03:09 UTC 2007

CW> At this rate though, we might all be using solid state drives
CW> before the kernel developers stop pointing at userspace as the
CW> problem and implement it for Linux.

Well, I have a machine running entirely from SSDs (two 32GB PATA
Samsungs, /boot is mirrored and the rest is striped).  It still
doesn't boot all that quickly (stock F-7); if someone has tests for me
to run I'll be happy to try them.  (Actually I'm only getting 57MB/s
reads from the striped volumes, so I think there's some tuning to do
as that looks like the single-drive speed.)

 - J<