dmraid failure/test cases [fc5-7]

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 14:31:39 UTC 2007

Sean Bruno wrote:
> I spent some time trying to arm wrestle my machines fake raid
> controllers(ck804, sil 3118) and a pci board I had lying around(adaptec
> 1210sa), and came to the conclusion that dmraid was causing me serious
> grief.
>
> First off, I could _not_ get dmraid to go away during the install on
> x86_64.  Even the nodmraid kernel option failed me.  Each time I booted
> up with two disks connected to any controller, the only drive I had at
> my disposal was /dev/mapper/mapper0.  I did notice that there was a
> 'disable dmraid' toggle in the advanced setup button in the installer,
> however this option was grayed out in all situations that I could come
> up with.

You're sure that's "mapper0"?  That looks suspicious to me.  Asside from
lvm (which would typically say "VolGroupMM-LogVolNN" or similar), the
names we create for device mapper devices such as multipath and dmraid
are of the forms "mpathN" (for multipath) and "format_$METADATAINFO",
i.e. "sil_ahadejcacefa", where "sil" reflects that it's a SiL metadata
format and "ahadejcacefa" is a hash of information from the metadata
itself.  "mapper0" isn't something the installer would choose for a
device name.

--
   Peter