Video and Keymap Quirks

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Jul 12 18:00:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:29:54PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:05 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure, but this is the first part of the jigsaw. For stuff like
> > > rfkill-input we need the kernel to _know_ that KEY_FN_F1 is actually
> > > KEY_BLUETOOTH. When X switches to evdev (soon?) the keysym problem
> > > should be a lot simpler to fix.
> >
> > Does the kernel have a concept for a key that can be on-the-fly
> > configured to individually turn on/off any combination of wlan,
> > bluetooth and/or cellular modems?
>
> Err, we can use the setkeycode ioctl to remap the button, but I'm
> guessing this isn't the answer to the question you are asking.

I havent had a lot of time to pursue it, but I have seen several people
working on things to handle killswitches. The problem I've seen is that
several of them dont take into account features that the Dell notebooks
have: software configurable killswitches, and killswitch for cellular in
particular.

Part of the problem would be that I dont know exactly who to talk to...

> > Recent Dell laptops all have a wireless switch. This switch can be
> > configured at runtime by dellWirelessCtl (part of libsmbios-bin) to
> > individually turn on/off any combination of each of the above.
>
> We could hook this up to HAL (although I'm not sure yet how) but I'm
> guessing the most sane thing to do would be to tie it to a hardware
> killswitch that killed all the wireless devices for aircraft scenario.

I wrote dellWirelessCtl. There was a patch a while back that integrated
it into HAL, but I didnt write that.
--
Michael