LICENSE: alliance ; VLSI CAD system

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 13 00:42:12 UTC 2007

Hello there,

I want to package alliance for fedora, which is a powerful and the
best in digital VLSI design.
http://www-asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/

ALLIANCE is a complete set of CAD tools and portable libraries for
research and education in digital VLSI design. It includes a VHDL
compiler and simulator, logic synthesis tools, automatic place and
route, DRC, extractor, functional abstraction and formal proof tools
etc... All the ALLIANCE cell libraries use a symbolic layout approach
in order to provide process independence: Cmos process from 1.6 micron
to 0.8 micron have been successfully targetted.

However I'm a bit concerned about their license.

They called it GPL version 2 and distribute a copy of it:
http://www-asim.lip6.fr/pub/alliance/distribution/5.0/

But on their webpage they wrote:
Alliance VLSI CAD System is free software. Binaries, source code and
cells libraries are freely available under the GNU General Public
License (GPL). You are welcome to use the software package even for
commercial designs without any fee. You are kindly requested to
mention : "Designed with Alliance (c) LIP6, Université Pierre et Marie
Curie"

This particular line confuses me:
"You are kindly requested to mention : "Designed with Alliance (c)
LIP6, Université Pierre et Marie Curie"

How would I mention it ? or will fedora permit such"mention" ?
However each time a tool under the alliance umbrella is launched under
the konsole, it will spit: (for example: graal)
[build at goorah ~]$ graal

                    @@@@ @                                @@@@
                  @@    @@                                  @@
                 @@      @                                  @@
                @@           @@@ @@@    @@@@      @@@@      @@
                @@            @@@  @@  @@   @    @@   @     @@
                @@     @@@@@  @@   @@  @@   @@   @@   @@    @@
                @@     @ @@   @@         @@@@@     @@@@@    @@
                @@    @  @@   @@       @@   @@   @@   @@    @@
                 @@      @@   @@      @@    @@  @@    @@    @@
                  @@    @@    @@      @@   @@@  @@   @@@    @@
                    @@@@     @@@@      @@@@  @@  @@@@  @@ @@@@@@

                              Graphic layout editor

                  Alliance CAD System 5.0 20060509,   graal 5.0
                  Copyright (c) 1999-2007,       ASIM/LIP6/UPMC
                  Author(s): Ludovic Jacomme and Frederic Venot
                  E-mail        :   alliance-users at asim.lip6.fr

There are also some examples which contains copyrighted materials from
Cadence. Surely, if ever alliance would enter the fedora collection,
those examples would be removed.

So what do you think about it ?
Can I still ask for review ?

There was a discussion in the debian community as well:
http://osdir.com/ml/debian.devel.legal/2002-04/msg00007.html

This is part of a tutorial I'm writing on how to use alliance (which
needs to be completed):
http://chitlesh.googlepages.com/full_adder_alliance

regards,
Chitlesh