Automating pam_keyring...

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 17 15:02:04 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> A friend scanning this mailing list asked me to pose a question;  is
> there any thought to being able to manage ssh-agent passphrases
> within gnome-keyring as well?  This would cut down on the number of
> times a password has to be entered.  Are there known challenges to
> using gnome-keyring for ssh-agent as well?

While this isn't quite an answer to the question, it may be useful to
the friend that asked...

With pam_ssh installed and a small tweak to /etc/pam.d/gdm (similar to
what you do to use pam_keyring), you can enter your password once and
be done.  That is, at the gdm login screen you enter your username and
password and your ssh keys get loaded.  This requires your login
password and the password on your ssh key(s) to match.

I advise you to go on living solely to enrage those who are paying
your annuities. It is the only pleasure I have left.
    -- Voltaire