Fedora Offline Package Manager (RUM) version 0.0.1 released

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Wed Jul 18 14:22:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 19:09 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > I looked but have forgotten what all your software would be able to do,
>
> "This program is meant to enable users who do not have a viable network
> connection to manage their packages, ie. install new ones and update
> existing ones, through the standard package management framework used
> in Fedora.
>
> If you are interested then you can read more about it at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay "
>
> > but if it does things offline, I"m sure it does them ONline as well?
>
> No it is not meant for online uses. That part is well served by Pirut.
> After all, the Offline Package Manager shares a lot of GUI and backend
> code with Pirut.

Well, to me then, it doesn't make sense to have two packages, just to
work online or offline.  Why can't you and the maintainer for pirut
combine sources to make it work for online and offline and just
configure what you want depending on your circumstance?

Actually what I would like to see, is yum or a plugin be able to use an
option with yum to disable all repos at once and then maybe can enable
local network stuff when needed?

Something like below maybe..

yum update --disableallrepos --enablerepo=local-network

Guess getting at when something happens and all of a sudden internet is
down,but yet you have updates to do and are on local network, instead of
yum taking awhile to go through it all not finding stuf, and not having
to disable each individual repo, you do it all at once and only enable
local stuff or whatever.

LOL I think I am way outthinking this.

--
Mike Chambers