Vacation

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jul 22 06:44:10 UTC 2007

On 22.07.2007 03:41, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:34:52 +0100
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Other lists snipped)
>> On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 00:04 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>>> I am going on a vacation for a week.

Have a nice vacation Martin! And please don't take the rest of the mail
personal, I just try to outline a general problem. You did nothing wrong.

>> Not to sound harsh, but I'm not sure this is on-topic (nor
>> interesting) for the majority of a development mailing list.
> It is.  He's telling us that he'll be gone and we can fix bugs if they
> show up.

Well, we currently have 432 members in cvs extras afaics -- let's that
each of them on average is about 2 times a year away for longer time
periods (some more, some less). That would mean if each of them would
write such a mail we'd get two to three each day.

Would that be a big help? I don't think so as one quickly would get lost
in the noise. Even now those mails are IMHO not a big help if there is
nobody watching bugzilla for the one that's on vacation.

The much better solution IMHO would be to encourage co-maintainership
more, to make sure each package has at least two owners (or better three
or more in case of important packages). Then somebody that heads for
vacation can send all his comaintainers a mail "I'm afk from foo to bar"
and they can handle quickly if a new important bug hits bugzilla (which
currently likely nobody would notice).

Just my 2 cent.

CU
knurd

P.S.: Yes, there was the plan to encourage comaintainership more after
the comaintainership policy was ratified by FESCo months ago; but we
wanted to wait for the PackageDB, which is still not in place...