Fedora & Sound: an excercise in frustration

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 06:00:55 UTC 2007

On Monday, July 23, 2007 12:26 am Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 12:43 -0400, Kelly wrote:
> > Awesome.  I have a package for a plugin which allows Adobe Flash to use
> > PulseAudio as well; I would have submitted it to the project, but it has
> > a dependency on Flash itself (though the plugin is GPL'ed).
>
> Why do we need a plugin? It should be able to use ALSA and Just Work.

Yes, by default Flash uses ALSA directly.  However, last time I checked, ALSA
has trouble with multiple sound sources, especially if the sources are all
trying for exclusive access (*glares at arts*).  I use this plugin as part of
a system I set up on my computer so that ALL sound is sent through the
PulseAudio daemon, which handles mixing and sending the actual sound to ALSA.
That way I don't need to worry about program X claiming exclusive control
over ALSA and killing the rest of the sound on the system.