NOTE: Please publicize any license changes to your packages

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jul 24 19:20:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 12:19 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 18:14 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > dark forces?
> > The person @RH or the person from whatever "committee-de-jour", who is
> > pushing this nonsense onto users and devs. - Give names, please.
> >

> I'm one of them. We're asking for this information in the packages b/c
> we are worried about licensing version conflicts making it a problem for
> us to ship certain packages linked against other ones. This was after
> conversation with legal.
Then spare your breath. I've been told all FSF owned packages will
change to [L]GPLv3 by RMS order until 2007-07-31.

GCC/binutils/gdb already are changing. I don't know about others.
Once glibc will change, you can mark all packages for "review by legal".

> So, if you want, I'm one of the "Dark Forces".
>
> WE NEED THE INFORMATION. The board has been empowered to make this
> decision. Supposedly, fesco and fpc implement the decisions that the
> board has made. That's why we asked for it to be addressed there.
>
> That's how the system is supposed to work. Exactly where are the dark
> forces?
The dark forces are those people behind the various (almost daily
mushrooming - At least I've lost oversight) committees trying to push
volunteering contributors around.

Wake up RedHat, FAB, FPB, FPC, FESCo, FMB ...! We are volunteers!
You can try to push us - but not for very much longer. My camel's back
already is broken, I've significantly reduced my involvement.

Ralf