RPM roadmapping

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:06:42 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 15:40 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I know I'm opening up Pandoras box here but what the heck, it's Friday and
> I'm feeling slightly bored...
>
> With RPM 4.4.2.1 fresh out and 4.4.x branched off to maintenance mode,
> time to start looking forward to next major release. While the focus will
> be largely in cleaning up and streamlining the codebase, it can't
> realistically be all about just that.

1. expose the rpm verify interface to the python bindings. All we really
need is a fast way of getting out the current file status on disk. We
could do it all in native python but since rpm already has some of the
code to do it..

2. make it so when I open an rpm from a file I do not need the rpmdb and
a transaction set to be open. This also means disconnecting the gpgkeys
from the rpmdb, I think.

3. more of what you said - get rid of all the pieces that we don't
actually need.

-sv