RPM roadmapping

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 14:33:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 09:29 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 15:40 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >> Not everybody is on rpm-maint list and we'd like to hear the wishes of
> >> (Fedora) developers/packagers too. So: what have you always wanted to do
> >> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
> >> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?
> >
> > A working %posttrans or equivalent.
>
> %posttrans works now afaik.  Is there something you want that isn't there
> now?

%posttrans is really a bit of a short-term fix and fundamentally not
changing anything.  We need to get to where we're doing a lot of small
transactions rather than one so that things like power failures aren't
catastrophic.  At which point, the value of %posttrans over %post starts
to become far far lower.

Jeremy