RPM roadmapping

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 18:03:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 19:55 +0200, Robert Scheck wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > A working %posttrans or equivalent.
>
> What is broken/not working at %posttrans?

Read the posts further up in this thread explaining it.

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Another thing I forgot: I'd love if rpm could become smart enough in
> > handling directories, so that we don't need to add tons of artifical
> > dependencies just to manually manage directory ownership.
>
> Hum? Could you give more details regarding this? Are you thinking about
> auto-manage ownership of directories? I don't think, this is a good idea,
> but rpm5.org is able to tell you orphaned parent directories and dangling
> symlinks since April 2006. IIRC http://rpm5.org/cvs/chngview?cn=6412 or
> http://rpm5.org/cvs/chngview?cn=6414.

I am talking about

- MUST: A package must own all directories that it creates. If it does
not create a directory that it uses, then it should require a package
which does create that directory. The exception to this are directories
listed explicitly in the Filesystem Hierarchy

I think it would be entirely possible for rpm to differentiate between
directories that
a) preexisted before any rpm touched them
b) were created because an rpm needs to dump a file there
c) are explicitly owned by an rpm
and manage the creation and deletion of directories accordingly.
Refcounting comes to mind...