Blog post about package management (aimed at fedora)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jul 27 21:55:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 10:40 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 12:43 +0200, dragoran wrote:
> > Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > I've blogged about package management in Fedora (and how it sucks in
> > > other distros too) and also discussed abstract per-system package
> > > management over DBUS interfaces.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate feedback on
> > > http://hughsient.livejournal.com/31429.html
> > "Do we have to make the API asynchronous?"
> > YES!!!
> > the best way to fix the progressbar hangs is multithreading.
> > let the gui draw its stuff, while a background thread does the real work.
> > yumex afaik works this way.
>
> Unfortunately, introducing threading into an environment (rpm + sqlite)
> which wasn't designed with threading in mind is a recipe for lots of ...
> interesting problems.

The proposal from Richard was to use IPC between the UI bits and the
actual mechanism (yum, apt, whatever) that carries out the work. So the
UI client would be a simple single-threaded process that just calls into
a D-Bus system service. Async calls doesn't mean multithreaded, it can
also means callback from a mainloop. Nothing new here.

       David