RPM roadmapping

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Jul 28 19:04:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) said:
>>> %posttrans works now afaik.  Is there something you want that isn't there
>>> now?
>>
>> Ideally, merging of identical %posttrans.
>
> ... and, running on uninstall as well.

Rather than trying to figure identical %posttrans between packages, I'd
like to see a mechanism to allow packages flagging things like "after
install/removal I need a) ldconfig run b) icon cache updated" and
have them run centrally after everything else has completed (lets call it
"%sysposttrans" that gets run after any non-empty transaction has fully
completed). Basically what was discussed in this thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-July/msg00061.html

I remember when some years ago something like

[ -x /usr/bin/update-foo ] && /usr/bin/update-foo

was copy-pasted into dozens of packages, only there was a typo that caused
every such scriptlet breaking and needed another mass rebuild to fix. If
it had been just a flag to do "update-foo" then the actual update-foo
script could've been fixed just once instead of having to copy-paste it
into every bleeping package and ran several times during a transaction.
Obviously packages have their special needs and not everything can be
generalized, but there are plenty enough things where this would be
applicaple.

 	- Panu -