RPM roadmapping

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 29 11:15:05 UTC 2007

Hello Till,

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Till Maas wrote:
> - a sane default buildroot definition
> - Cleaning $RPM_BUILD_ROOT itself in %install (and without any race condition)
> - A default %clean section with rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> - %defattr(-,root,root,-) per default in %files
>
> This would save at least 5 lines in nearly every spec of Fedora.

ever looked to /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros or /usr/lib/rpm/macros and asked
on the lists why this is not done by obvious reasons like backward compat
etc.? IIRC there already was such a discussion maybe half or a year ago...

FYI: Currently you can't do a "rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT" in "%install"
automagically, because it breaks rebuilding of the kernel package, looks
somebody were to lazy to write something sane. I tried to enable this
feature on my rpm5.org installation, but IIRC there is at least one further
failure, too.

Conclusion: Some Fedora Packaging Maintainers should write sane spec files
first, there are other packaging issues, too (e.g. orphaned directories,
dangling symlinks).

Greetings,
  Robert