RPM roadmapping

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 30 14:22:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 03:40:40PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> Not everybody is on rpm-maint list and we'd like to hear the wishes of
> (Fedora) developers/packagers too. So: what have you always wanted to do
> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?

I'd like to be able to really setup chroot w/o any root
privilegdes. This already works at 99% using
fakeroot/fakechroot. There is some code in rpm that didn't swallow the
fake environment. It didn't look too difficult to fix. :)

The application is very important: Currently any submitter can take
over any builder by placing some code in %post*/%pre* scripts and
making this package a BR of another package. Being root makes it easy
to escape the chroot and perform root operations at the builder level
(unless the builders are properly selinux protected).

A secondary benefit of fakeroot/fakechroot support would be that any
random student on any random Linux system could deploy a build system
under his account and produce nice rpm packages w/o the need for root
priviledges on these systems.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net