RPM roadmapping

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon Jul 30 20:14:36 UTC 2007

At 11:25 AM +0200 7/30/07, Matthias Saou wrote:
>Panu Matilainen wrote :
>
>> [...] So: what have you always wanted to do
>> with rpm, but wasn't able to? Or the other way around: what you always
>> wished rpm would do for you? What always annoyed you out of your mind?
>
>After reading some of the other posts, I remembered something that has
>often come up, which I would use extensively if it existed :
>
>Some automatic cache/copies of all %config files installed, with all
>untouched versions always available. This would be very useful with
>some simple tool to diff the current files(s) wit the backup(s), as
>well as list all locally changed %config files. A sysadmin's dream come
>true :-)

As a sloppy sysadmin myself, I don't always remember to back up config
files before editing, so an automatic %config backup on RPM install /
upgrade would help me, and, I think, most other Linux users.  On package
upgrade, I'd like the previous / original config file to be kept as well if
a .rpmnew file will be created for the actual config file (and the .rpmnew
file should not be created if the files are identical, though that is a
known tricky issue).