RPM roadmapping

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 08:01:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Robert Scheck wrote:
>> When looking back e.g. to soft dependencies, I remember that they just were
>> refused for obivious reasons by individuals having the right position at
>> Fedora (or Red Hat). You maybe treat this as flame, but this is what the
>> feedback from that time looked like.
>
> Panu did mention that he was considering soft dependencies in rpm-maint list.
>
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-maint/2007-June/000330.html
>
> Many people both Red Hat and non-Red Hat folks have been expressing some
> concerns over soft dependencies.

Various Red Hat folks have indeed been very much against soft
dependencies, but if rpm.org is to have any "independent upstream"
credibility like it's supposed to be, we got to remember RPM is not just
for Red Hat.

Whether rpm.org support soft dependencies and whether Fedora allows using
them are two different questions.

 	- Panu -