PR: thunderbird-enigmail, building own thunderbird inside?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Jun 3 14:42:13 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'd like to take an enigmail review (bz #239336), but there is an issue
I'd like to discuss more broadly here. Partial thunderbird build + some
files from thunderbird sources are needed for enigmail to be built.
These are the very files, IMO, that should go to thunderbird-devel
package if there were any. Alas, there isn't, so to build enigmail
extension, which has sources about 0.5 MB big and does not take long to
build, we need to include thunderbird sources in the spec and build
thunderbird there, which makes the srpm much bigger (from less then 1 MB
to more than 35 MB), brings issue of duplicit source files in more
packages and makes build much longer.

I am not quite sure, how to approach this specific issue. Because, as I
said, if we do it the way it is done now (in the review request) it
would be very ineffective, we cannot add it to thunderbird package
itself - that's out of question, it's an extension not necessary part -
and that leaves us third way, which has not been trodden yet, I think -
make the thunderbird-devel package, which would have all the necessary
files in it. Than we would be able to patch the enigmail to build
against it.

What do you think of it? There are no guidelines yet for packaging
firefox/thunderbird extensions, and enigmail, as many of us use it to
gpg sign our mails, would be good to have.

Thanks,
Martin