Reply-To header munging for fedora-devel-list@

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Jun 9 19:04:07 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:

> On a subscriber-only list I consider that a feature. I hate getting
> duplicate emails, especially ones that don't have a List-Id: header to
> properly sort the mail (like the Cc'd mail wouldn't have).

You probably get duplicate e-mail also for cross-postings when
you're subscribed to both lists.  But is it a big deal?  You only
read them once anyway.

But how did you notice this reply for you on fedora-list?
The way I do it, is very unreliable and clumsy: grou by
thread, search for my own postings, look if they have any
unread replies.

>>> But some of these lists you mention are not subscriber only.
>> I also think lists should be open to posting by non-subscribers...
>> Otherwise cross-posting is painful and doesn't work as intended
>> (i.e.: you get half of the messages in each list).
>
> But cross-posting is discouraged anyway.

Discouraged by whom?  If I post with a subject such as
"kernel with selinux enabled slows down OpenGL", I'd
cross-post to all relevant lists: fedora-devel@,
linux-kernel@, selinux@, mesa3d-dev@ and dri at .

People subscribed to these lists are likely to be interested.
If they're not, they will just skip the thread after reading
the subject.

Let's not talk about bandwidth issues, please.  I can
comfortably read 10-20 high-traffic lists even with my
slow connection at home.  And web services such as gmame
and gmail make it easy even from hand-helds.

>> The spam argument is easily dismissed once you notice that
>> linux-kernel@ is almost 100% spam free despite being open.
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/8/146

I stand corrected.  (but see the replies: people /like/ open
lists for the same reasons I gave)

> OK, there are a couple of mailing lists on this very server that are
> open to anyone just have a look at for example
> video4linux-list at redhat.com to see the amount of spam.

I can't see the archives without subscribing first.  But what
kind of filtering did RedHat put in front of their listserver?

Maybe I've not ran lists with such high-profile, but I have
two dozens of lists in my mailman and easily got rid of almost
all the incoming spam.  I see one every few days, which is
very affordable.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/