portage vs yum

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:51:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:09:45 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> "Integration" isn't about speed.  It's about ensuring that the software
> works together, that it has been built with the right options to enable
> the desired features, that the features /work/ as expected, etc...
>
> It's the kind of work we do to work towards a single dictionary system
> instead of one for each app (still working on this...)
>
> It's the kind of work we do to try and make each desktop application use
> the same file selection tools, themes, etc...

thanks for clarifying.  This is getting close to naysaying, but I'd
prefer more packages, easier to upgrade from fedora N to N+1, than
integration.  My personal preference.

Going back to expediency, ebuild ease of creation versus rpm ease of
creation:  e-builds are easier due to the looser integration?  What are
other factors, please?

thanks,

Thufir