portage vs yum

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Jun 29 11:36:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 08:43:26AM +0000, Thufir wrote:

> to clarify:
>
> gentoo:
> loose integration
> greater quantity of packages
>
> fedora:
> tight integration
> lesser quantity of packages
>
> However, if it's about the same quantity of labor to create an e-build as
> to create an RPM, I'm not sure *why* the quantity of ebuilds is greater...

It is more labor to create an integrated package than to have less
integration. But also the community may have different size and
time.

> So, isn't some form of, perhaps, tightly integrated build-from source
> type packaging, the best of both worlds?  (binaries for GNOME, and so
> forth, at request a la sabayon.)

I don't think that the fact that Fedora isn't built from source affect
in any way the number of packages available. What affects it is the
number of people working on fedora and the difficulties of packaging.

--
Pat