Proposal ocaml guidelines

Goede, J.W.R. de j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri May 4 11:40:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 04 May 2007 23:07:12 +1200
 Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com> wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Nigel Jones wrote:
> >> Sorry to come into the discussion a bit later than
> expected.
> available here:
>  Even in packages
> definitive reference
> the -devel
> >> I replaced it in ocaml-SDL and ocaml-camlimages with
> ocamldoc generated
> >> html references, which seems to be pretty much the
> same as the
> >> individual mli files.
> >
> > But I wanna use 'less'!
> >
> > Seriously, I don't want to fire up a browser just to
> check an interface.
> >  Even the text mode browsers have serious UI problems
> compared to
> > 'less /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08.3/list.mli'.
> >
> > Is there any reason why *.mli files can't be included
> in a -devel
> > package?  I'm not talking about the main library
> package where it would
> > add bloat, but in a package which would only need to be
> installed by
> > developers.
> Technically, if we are going to package developer
> documentation, they
> should be in a noarch -doc package (i.e.
> ocaml-camlimages-doc).
>
> What I'd suggest is:
> Packager splits out .mli files from build, compresses and
> gunzips them,
> and creates a spec file, something to the tune of:

No please, I don't know what the size of the htmldocs is,
but assuming there small lets just have the htmldocs and
the *.mli files in the main package, maybe in a seperate
subpackage.

If the size of the htmldocs is so large that the additional
mirror churn for updates to the main package are woth
seperating, then only the htmldocs should be packaged
seperately.

Using parts of the build output from one package and
manually copying them that as source for another is just
plain wrong. And since we are not talking 100Mb data files
here, lets not do this!

Regards,

Hans