Packaging quality, assistance.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Wed May 9 16:28:07 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 18:11 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 09:48 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 16:50 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > > Le Mer 9 mai 2007 14:12, David Woodhouse a écrit :
>
> > > The latest clash is people trying to ignore Core rules and apply Extra
> > > practices to a Core component. Obviously there needs to be some sort
> > > of convergence to avoid new incidents
> >
> > Yes.  Merging is a two way street, so some adaptations will be required
> > on both sides.
> Don't you think we already have done?
>
> Whether you like it or not, from a community point of view, actually
> nothing substantial has changed so far, except that we have been facing
> the side-effects of "construction-work near RH" on the Fedora
> infrastructure.
>
> Wrt. "collaboration with RH" and "unifying Core and Extra"s on packaging
> work actually nothing much has happened. Packages which have been under
> RH control still are under RH control and what had been under "community
> maintenance" still also is.

Not true.  KDE is now co-maintained with a community developer, and that
developer has actually committed changes to CVS now.  That's just one
concrete example.

We're also getting requests from packagers to allow builds for Core
packages that bring in Extras deps.

Things are not going to change magically overnight.  Have patience.  But
your claims that it's "Red Hat vs. the community" are simply not true.

josh