Boot Anaconda with Grub rpm package

Sindre Pedersen Bjordal foolish at guezz.net
Thu May 24 18:47:07 UTC 2007

I usually do upgrades via Anaconda by copying the vmlinuz and initrd.img
from the isolinux dir on the install media to my /boot and then adding
an entry to /etc/grub.conf to boot into Anaconda and do the Upgrade.

Today I decided that replacing this manual process by a rpm file
containing the files with the necessary scriplet shebang for the grub
stuff would be a better idea. Attached is my .spec so far.

This works for me, as in install/uninstall add/removes the grub entry
and the right files. Rebooting and selecting the "Install/Upgrade Fedora
6.93" entry in the grub boot menu actually boots Anaconda and asks for
the install method.

Some questions though:

Is this usable for anyone but me?

Can this be distributed in Fedora, can it be distributed by me? Am I
doing something wrong by repackaging the binary initrd.img and vmlinuz
files?

Multi-arch: My initial idea was to just create one tarball per arch and
have them in the spec as Source0, Source1 and so forth and use arch
macros in the spec to determine which tarball to use on which arch. Does
anyone have a better idea?

SRPM here:
http://folk.ntnu.no/sindrb/packages/fedora-bootanaconda-6.93-1.fc7.src.rpm (7.3 MB)

SPEC here: http://folk.ntnu.no/packages/fedora-bootanaconda.spec