What's with Nautilus?

J French me at semitekie.com
Fri May 25 05:19:55 UTC 2007

Under Nautilus, if you try to remove items (move them to the trash or
hit Delete with them selected) that are on an NFS drive, you get an
error "Not on the same filesystem". Now let me ask you, in a corporate
environment, how many people's home directories are actually on the
"same" filesystem? And the same as what? The only recourse here is to
turn on the "Include a Delete command that bypasses trash" and use that
instead, which completely negates the whole point of the trash bin -
meaning if I accidentally delete something that I need, I have to go
through an hour long process of attempting to recover it by rebuilding
the inodes (someone know an easy way to do this?). While this is just
one example, this issue actually affects me by quite a bit as my own
workstation is mapped via NFS to a dozen or so other machines (data
servers, web servers, storage servers, etc) and I've worked this way for
years - as have quite a few other people, I'm sure.

Next up - Nautilus again: I do A LOT of development in quite a few
different languages. If I try to just double click, for instance, an sql
dump, I get errors like "this is a VHDL document and requires that
extension". Or, if I open a php script that happens to contain only
HTML, I get "this looks like HTML rather than PHP". Why does Nautilus
care? These are raw text files, which gedit is perfectly capable of
handling. In fact, should you attempt to open a binary file through
gedit (the only time this should matter), gedit will kindly tell you as
much. Am I really expected to go through everyone's files and assign the
extensions Nautilus expects just to get around having to go Open With
and, sometimes even have to choose Text Editor from "Other
Applications"? I can understand this behavior for binary files, but
that's not what I'm talking about here.

These two issues, while they may seem small at first, actually impact
productivity by quite a bit. I don't rant much, but this is starting to
get ridiculous. I didn't have these issues under FC5 or 6 and have been
seriously considering downgrading my workstation back to 6 and leaving
it there (which I still might do).

OK, I'm done now.