knetworkmanager, nm-0.7

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Nov 1 20:54:07 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:40 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> > Since when do we care about who ships what first?
>
> I think its fair to say that people want to get some credit for the
> hard work they are point into getting the deeper design stuff "right."
>  It matters to developer morale and to overall health of the project.
> We have to do a much better job at being able to point out the cool
> crap that is going on under the hood and getting the laypress talking
> about it and getting end-users excited about it.  The hard work needs
> to be appreciated exactly because its HARD work.

+100

You don't know how frustrating it can get whenever you hear some news
about Ubuntu-this or Ubuntu-that. Heck, I just read this recent article
entitled "In-Depth Roadmap Analysis For Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04" and I'm
surprised to see how far back Ubuntu lags Fedora, and yet none of it
gets publicized. It can be very demoralizing to hear that now Wal-mart
is releasing an Everex Linux PC based on Ubuntu so that people start
equating linux with Ubuntu. There are so many talented people working
behind Fedora. Granted, the reason that lay people are so enamored with
Ubuntu is because Ubuntu devs are doing everything they can to satisfy
their wants while Fedora devs want a technically-superior product that
is still easy to use. In the meantime, Fedora devs keep plodding along
knowing in their hearts that they're doing the right thing, but how far
can that take not being appreciated.

Rahul and Max have done a fine job of getting recognized, but still, we
have to beef up marketing and advertising as well as prioritizing making
Fedora easy to use and choice-friendly while maintaining high technical
standards.

Say what you will, but for me, a great motivator for continuing to work
and innovate is the satisfaction seeing my work used, appreciated and
occasionally complimented.

If it makes any diff.: To Fedora devs, _I_ get what you guys are doing
and I'm doing my best to get people to recognize that in my little
corner of the globe.
--

Richi Plana