KDE logout options with F8

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 05:24:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:20:36AM +0100, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Joachim Frieben wrote:
> >>Please don't drag upstream X.org into this, xdm is a horror upstream is
> >>glad gdm/kdm exist and merely continue shipping xdm as something for
> >>system builders..
> >>
> >>it isn't valuable or valid.
> >>
> >>Dave.
> >
> >Nevertheless, a user who simply wants a plain X environment is encumbered
> >by packages he hasn't asked for [GDM + GNOME requires] without even the
> >possibility to dismiss them during install.
> >I suppose that a user who deliberately unchecks GNOME and KDE does know
> >what he wants and does and imposing GDM onto him is against the often
> >cited 'freedom of choice' unless you consider tracking down and
> >uninstalling the related packages by the user post install as a reasonable
> >duty.
> >I have used XDM for a couple of years back when Red Hat Linux still booted
> >into runlevel 3 by default, and I had no complaints about it.
>
> Or maybe they just unchecked both because the words "GNOME" and "KDE"
> mean nothing to them, coming from a win/mac background.  Or maybe they
> aren't used to their trackpad's behavior under linux and uncheck one of
> them (both aren't checked by default, IIRC) accidentally.  If the user
> is truly advanced enough, there are other and IMO better ways to get the
> exact package set that they want.  Such as kickstart, re-spinning, etc.

This can be avoided two ways maybe:

1} One of them can be greyed out. No changes can be done i.e selected by
   default;)
2} A big fat 'clear and present danger' warning can be displayed to the
   user about where he/she is going to land.
--
vikram...
--
"I'd love to go out with you, but I'm converting my calendar watch from
Julian to Gregorian."