What's the current status of mp3-licensing issues?

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sun Nov 4 01:18:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 22:25 +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>
> > Briefly speaking from the above notes we may find the following:
> > * Looks like Ogg "violates" patents as well as mp3.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis#Licensing

To my reading this section claims quite the contrary.

Let's not witch hunt on programs that can or may, or could violate
patents.
Unless we know for sure a program implements a very specific patent
covered method then only if there is a specific patent holder that comes
out and claims a specific patent is violated by a specific
program/library we should care.

Anything else is just going to be a mainly waste of time IMO.

Simo.