Fedora 9 Feature suggestion - The start menu and caching

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 09:49:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:23:05 +0100
Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Fedora 8 has dropped the readahead program which was fine because it
> wasn't speeding up anything at all (not in my experience) but i do
> think we need some kind of a caching for the start menu and serveral
> other programs.

I think Jeff Garzik has mentioned Jens Axboe's fcache in this list
before, but it received little attention.  Wouldn't it be worth trying?
Or did someone try that with Fedora?  It sounds like a generic enough
solution to "a faster startup" problem.

Relevant link is:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/15/46

Regards.