Fedora 9 Feature suggestion - The start menu and caching

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 11:01:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:49:43 +0100
Tomáš Smetana <tsmetana at redhat.com> wrote:

> I think Jeff Garzik has mentioned Jens Axboe's fcache in this list
> before, but it received little attention.  Wouldn't it be worth
> trying? Or did someone try that with Fedora?  It sounds like a
> generic enough solution to "a faster startup" problem.
>
> Relevant link is:
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/15/46

I helped Jens with testing fcache. I used Debian at the time, but it
should work on any distro. The improvement in boot-up speed was nice.

The problem is fcache is not upstream and it won't be. Jens saw fcache
only as a proof-of-concept hack. He abandoned its development. He had
an idea for a better and easier to use solution. It was supposed to be
more automatic with no special "priming" mode. I don't think he ever
got to implement it though.

Michal