openid support for f9?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Nov 8 16:01:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 06:50 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> It seems that openid is moving along.  Maybe f9 can integrate openid as an
> SSO solution?
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/255774/

Certainly an interesting concept, but that would pull us way too far
into the Internet space (as opposed to local or even private domain
space). How would an openid user map to Linux in terms of UID? Would a
uid be assigned on a local machine? On the domain (if the machine the
person is logging into happens to be a part of a bigger network)? Does
the OpenID spec have provisions for account authorization and
information? There are still some UNIX-y things needed by current
distributions that we have to find solutions for.

OTOH, it ties well with the Gnome Online Desktop idea, once you get past
(or provide for) the things that traditional Unix accounts need. It
would do well on truly public kiosks where authorization can be some
public default and accounting based in OpenID.

I was going to try my hand at writing an OpenID PAM module, but found a
project already started on google
(http://code.google.com/p/pam-openid/ ) It's linked to from these blogs:
http://kveton.com/blog/2006/12/10/openid-pam/ and
http://yablog-gary.blogspot.com/2007/10/openid-pam-and-apache.html .
According to one site, they had some discussion going, but the posts
were lost or yanked.

At any rate, I'll play around with the idea and post results there.
--

Richi Plana