Inaccessible Post-GDM But Pre-Desktop Dialogs

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Nov 9 15:03:49 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz writes:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:21 -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > There is at least one potential dialog that breaks accessibility after a
> > user logs in, but before Orca (or Gok) loads. I became aware of this one
> > demonstrating Orca in Italian to a CompSci professor at a recont F/OSS
> > symposium in Florence.
> >
> > The dialog we came across advises of available updates. It does not talk
> > (in my case). So, it's an accessibility show-stopper.
> >
> > Generically speaking, all such potential pop-ups need to be vetted for
> > accessibility. What about the one that says: "you're not connected to
> > the Internet," for instance?
>
> They're actually from the same source.  The problem here is that things
> in the notification area (puplet, nm-applet, etc) are all started by
> gnome-session as is the panel, orca, etc.  If one of the notification
> area applets wants to show a notification bubble, they just do a
> libnotify call.  But there's no way to ensure that the panel is up (and
> thus that their icon is actually visible) much less if other things like
> a11y technologies are running.
>
> We really need a way to serialize some of this.  Unfortunately, that'll
> end up coming at the cost of a (slightly) slower login time

So, it sounds like the proper fix is upstream in Gnome development? But,
what's the short term work around for the Fedora 8 user? Right now it's a
crap shoot whether one can access the desktop with Orca, or not.
Clearly, it may often be possible to go run a 'yum update,' but it won't
always be possible to do that.

Janina