When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Nov 11 15:51:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 09:16 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:07:12 +0100
> Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > "commit to local repository, tag,
> > push local changes to build repository, build".
>
> You can't just tag locally.  You need to ensure that the same tag
> hasn't been applied to the central repo by somebody else while you were
> "away".

And how's that different from CVS? Of course, "make tag" should take
things "upstream" to the "central" repository and yell if the tag
already exists. Been there, done that, you might want to take a look at
the Makefiles of my system-config-* packages(*). If a tag existed
already, either the tagging itself or the subsequent push fails.

(*): E.g. http://hg.fedoraproject.org/hg/hosted/system-config-users --
note that these have been written for slightly older Mercurial versions
where using the same tag was possible without --force'ing things. They
could be a bit simpler with current versions.

We could also resort to letting "koji build" do the tagging to keep
things more controlled -- i.e. "koji build <some changeset id>" would
checkout the package, attempt to "reserve"(**) the tag, build and tag on
success which would obviate the need for "make force-tag". Of course,
people should be prohibited from pushing changes to e.g. .hgtags for
such a scheme.

(**): or tag, build and eventually untag on failure. This would
coincidentally make starting multiple builds for the same tag impossible
which can or at least at some point could be done.

> Or maybe you want to just verify that at push time, and then yell at
> the maintainer to fix his stuff because that tag already exists?

I see no tangible difference to how things are today -- in both cases,
"make tag" (or "make build") fails.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759