Codec Buddy misleading.

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Nov 12 05:35:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Alan Cox wrote:

> For europe I think it is. It doesn't help for the Red Hat case because
> as a US company Red Hat is obliged to obey US law.

Red Hat is also a German company. Those people could release a German
version that includes it. Say in a German-only repository on german
servers (and mirrors outside of red hat's control).

It wouldn't be much different from Livna now. Which is an argument in
favor of keeping the codecs in such an outside repository as-is.

However, I am still of the opinion that non-us people shouldn't be misled
to buy things that they're fully entitled to from free and available
software, just because of the main location of Fedora's main contributor
(Red Hat). Which is why I think the Codec Buddy feature suggesting
non-free software should be removed. Americans illegally installing
livna rpms is not Red Hat's problem. Europeans mistakingly paying for
non-free software is an issue for the Fedora Community.

Paul