Codec Buddy misleading.

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Nov 12 16:39:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > However, I am still of the opinion that non-us people shouldn't be misled
> > to buy things that they're fully entitled to from free and available
> > software, just because of the main location of Fedora's main contributor
> > (Red Hat). Which is why I think the Codec Buddy feature suggesting
> > non-free software should be removed. Americans illegally installing
> > livna rpms is not Red Hat's problem. Europeans mistakingly paying for
> > non-free software is an issue for the Fedora Community.
>
> That is utter crock. If you know about the repositories, you probably
> already have the packages installed already, or that window would remind
> you to install them. If you don't know about them, we can't actually
> point you at them.

Yes, we agree that people who know about this will ignore the new codec
buddy. Or rephrased, "informed people won't accept the misinformation
of needing to pay for codecs" (or if they are US users, will know that
they can steal them).

It is the non-informed user that is harmed by the codec buddy. It just so
happens that it only harms non-US citizens, so this solution is deemed
"not a problem" for Red Hat because they are a US company. That is the
essence of the problem here.

> The bottom line is that people who didn't know how to get playback
> software for their videos and music will now know how to, or at least
> have a way to.

So you are also in favour of not telling people about free health care,
as long as they know how to find a doctor they can pay? That's really a
non argument. Red Hat is basically ripping of non-US citizens via a
business partner.

> In fact, most of this software and the way it made it in Fedora was done
> in Britain and Spain. So I'm not buying the "martyr from Europe who
> shelled out 30 euros" story.

Obviously in cooperation and under ultimate decisions of releng and its
lawyers. So this argument also makes no sense.

Paul