Petabytes and hierarchical storage management

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Tue Nov 13 10:55:48 UTC 2007

ons 2007-11-07 klockan 15:55 +0100 skrev Christian Iseli:
> Hi folks,
>
> Anybody here aware of open source tools to have a HSM solution in
> Fedora ?
>
> What I'm basically after is something that
>  - mounts and behaves like a normal filesystem
>  - can manage petabytes
>  - automatically migrates files to tapes (or other fancy low cost per
> megabytes storage device), based on some policy when they are unused
> for some period of time, and loads them back the next time a process
> attempts to open those files
>  - can be exported through NFS and samba

I'd be interested in something like this, too. For me, the backend would
be a TSM system, but it's nice if there can be several different
backends.

Maybe something to hack in FUSE? fuse-python or something should be
fairly simple to use. FUSE is not re-exportable by the kernel NFS server
stuff though, you have to use a userland NFS server.

/abo