/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Nov 13 15:05:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 08:35 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> /srv is not available to distribution vendors.

The funny thing about this situation is that /srv/ was reserved for use
by the end-users, and as an end-user, that's exactly what I want ... but
all the default server data subdirectories are everywhere else
but /srv/. No one seems willing or knowledgeable enough to move things
to /srv/ even though they really want to (as evidenced by the number of
people clamoring for moves every now and then in the list). No
distribution makes it easy for administrators to choose a subdirectory
for their server data (by easy, I mean via the GUI tools).

These days, when I install some server package, I can usually find the
configuration information inside /etc/<servicename>/ or similar.
Supporting shared objects and libraries in /usr/lib(64)?/, data files
in /usr/share/<name>/, but the data files are all over the place.
--

Richi Plana