Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Nov 14 20:16:36 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:34:16 +0100
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>> 3) In the extras days I had the feeling of having some control over what FESCo
>>     does, today I feel that certain groups within Fedora (*cough* release
>>     engineering *cough*) are indepent islands, not that these groups are not
>>     doing great work, but they don't seem controlled in any democratic way.
>>
>> 1 and 2 are not factors which can be controlled by Fedora, 3 however can. I
>> believe its important to fix 3, as that will make joining the government of
>> Fedora much more appealing.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you see the problems being?  And possible
> solutions?

Some less spoonfeeding of decisions and more discussion in public instead of
presenting pre-cooked proposals the entire circle of power already agrees on,
would help greatly here.

Look at it this way, Fedora is all about Freedom, but since the merger the
Freedom for contributers (esp. packagers) has been greatly reduced. Take the
new release engineering proposals for example, I have some ideas about this,
but the entire release engineering crowd had already precooked there ideas and
unanimously disagreed with mine, or atleast that is how I perceived this.

Most typically of all this I guess is this alinea: This will probably be my
last mail in this thread, as I see no use in continuing this dicussion, why?
Because I no longer believe that discussions like this will cause any changes.

Regards,

Hans