F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Thu Nov 15 16:01:24 UTC 2007

Bug #134886 is still there since fedora core 3 times.  It means that
NetworkManager will happily shutdown the interfaces, ignore any
settings you've put in anaconda and wipe out /etc/resolv.conf if you
happen not to use dhcp.  Like in a lab, where desktops and servers
tend not to wander around so much and dhcp is used only for laptops.

Fedora 8 adds another level to the fun:

- NetworkManager is started at gdm time.  Which means that your
  anaconda settings are ignored (and the DNS settings *erased*) as soon
  as the login interface appears.

- service network restart doesn't work, because NM detects it and
  stomps all over it

- you can't just chkconfig NM out.  It looks like it's started by
  gnome itself, or maybe hal, so one has to study their "my wheel is
  better than your wheel" startup configuration.  Or maybe not.  Dunno
  really.

- if you try to yum remove it, you lose evolution,
  krb5-auth-dialog, libpurple, nautilus-sendto and pidgin.

- once you rpm -e --nodeps it, you find out that the "network" service
  is not on by default either (liveCD install)

I find the idea of having to do a pair of rpm -e in kickstart kinda
demented.  Is there a saner answer?

  OG.