Push packages from diverse maintainers

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 17 02:09:26 UTC 2007

> Linus Walleij wrote:

[...]

>> So to make things perfect, maintainers of packages that other
>> packages depend on should have their status escalated so that they
>> can build and push all dependent packages if need be. OR (and this
>> may be easier) have a mechanism to notify som dependency-engineer
>> with access to everything to do builds and pushes for her/him.
>>

HdG> Or, do not do soname / ABI breaking updates in a stable release?

Not always an option.  Witness the recent firefox 2.0.0.8/2.0.0.9
update snafus, this is exactly the cases I was targeting when I filed
the ticket on bodhi.  Each firefox security update bumps ABI whether
we want it to or not (although this is an indirect result of
suboptimal design on the part of the gecko maintainers not to have a
stable gecko-libs that is designed to be externally used).

Alex