Pulseaudio problems

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:54:46 UTC 2007

2007/11/17, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to adapt myself to pulseaudio (F8 x86_64).
>
> I had to change
> /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
> so I can use another X screen (:1) without being root, and  without using
> pulse.
>  Otherwise, I hear no sound using mplayer (this is how I send a movie to an
> ordinary TV).
>
> After testing several applications, this is what I got so far
> trying to use pulseaudio with plugins (not using alsa generic plugin):
>
> MythTV: NO sound at all (therefore, pulse can not be a global default for
> me)
> mplayer (patched): OK
> mplayerplug-in: OK
> rhythmbox: OK
> amarok: OK
> xmms: OK
> audacious 1.4: OK with ESD (stutters a lot with its own pulse plugin).
> mpd 0.13: NO sound (it has the plugin, though).
> ampache (flash player): OK
> xine: NO. Sound disappears after a few seconds.
> vlc: NO plugin available.
vlc can uses the ESoundD plugins (if compiled in) - the livna version
has it, and raised it to be tried by default with Fedora 8... But...,
some users reported crackles noises when used with PA see livna bug
#1711...
This tweak seems to solve the problem: (need to confirm: works for me)
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#ESOUNDApplications
Add this to your .bashrc:
if [ ! -e /tmp/.esd-${UID} ]; then
        ln -fs /tmp/.esd /tmp/.esd-${UID}
fi

Nicolas (kwizart )

Solution consist to add this lines to your .bashrc : (seen
if [ ! -e /tmp/.esd-${UID} ]; then
        ln -s /tmp/.esd /tmp/.esd-${UID}
fi

That